January 28, 2008

Quickie update...

My first week without gossip smut is going surprisingly well! Thanks to the support of my understanding roommate, whose hesitant questions of "Is E! True Hollywood Story still ok?" made me smile. Honestly, I have no idea. I'm worried about E! altogether. If the purpose is to eschewing the paparazzi, then I'm not sure ANY E! programming is ok. This will be toughest given my love of The Girls Next Door. Does it count if the show stars D list celebrities willing to whore themselves out for reality television?

These are questions I was not prepared to answer. But I will say that I did not touch US Weekly and though I did glance over the headlines at the supermarket checkout, I did not flip through any of them.

Minor hiccup coming soon: Amanda and I were "hair models" at the International Salon and Spa Show in Long Beach this weekend (So much to say. We modeled extensions. Possibly one of the most hilarious situations I've ever found myself in. Although I'm not the one who ended up looking like Jessica Simpson- cough) and among the incredible deals usually only afforded salon and spa owners and cosmotology students (like Bed Head for $4! And new fun stuff like a pair of tweezers with a light attached! We were like kids in a...well, a beauty supply store.) was the publisher deal for magazines. Know how your local hair stylist can afford so many subscriptions? I do. And they were sweet enough to grant me the same deal. As a magazine junkie, let me just say that I blacked out, but when I came to I had six new subscriptions to my name- at such a low price, I almost needed a drink after the paper was signed.

The special bonus to all who signed up? A free subscription to OK! The gossip devil clearly devised this situation to ensnare me. Doesn't mean I have to read it. And I'm not paying for it so I haven't violated my agreement to myself. But still... To quote Michael Corleone from the Godfather marathon over the weekend, "Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."

No comments: